Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hatch Green Chili Wrapped Mahi-Mahi


Just back from a quick trip to the White Mountains and stayed here!! How about this for a cozy cabin in the woods?  It rained a LOT and being as rain starved as I am, felt incredibly blessed by it. 





As we wandered through the little town of Pinetop, AZ,  we drifted toward an incredible aroma which turned out to be Hatch chilies roasting in a rotating drum (I'm sure it has a name and is specifically made to roast chilies) and we bought several pounds.  Now I'm on a mission to see how many yummy ways I can cook them.

So...last night I seasoned Mahi-Mahi filets,wrapped them in a big old Hatch chili, then baked them.  Yum! It isn't the prettiest dish I've ever done, but wow!  Such a great taste!  I served them with a salad and corn on the cob.


Ingredients:
2 Mahi-Mahi filets
1- 2 tbsp. taco or chili flavoring (I like Arizona Dreaming from Pensey's Spices-website below)
2 tsps grape seed oil
3-4  roasted Hatch green chilies
Salt to taste

Directions:
Purchase the chilies already roasted!  They are in season right now and it will save you a lot of work.  If you want to roast them yourself, set your oven to broil and blacken both sides of the chilies.  Remove from the oven and immediately place into a sealed plastic bag.  After the chilies cool, the skin is easy to peel off.

Cut the chilies lengthwise, then remove the stem and insides.

Cut fish lengthwise in half. Brush with oil, then season with flavoring.  Wrap the Hatch chilies around the fish, place in a baking dish and cook at 375 for 15 minutes or until the fish is flaky, but not dry. I recommend not salting the fish until after it is cooked- a lot depends on the kind of flavoring you use.


http://www.penzeys.com/

2 comments:

  1. That house is very pineulated!!! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES! My dream is to be somewhere with dense "Pinulation!"

      Delete