Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hatch Green Chili Stew

As I was strolling through Whole Foods with my dear friend and mentor, Mary Jane, I saw the most mouth-watering sight!  It was the Whole Foods version of a green chili stew and it was yummy.  I took a look at the ingredients and decided to try it myself.  All I can say is if you like spicy, you will really enjoy this recipe.  Hatch green chilies are in season right now so you can either roast your own, or buy the large can of whole Hatch green chilies.  For me, I had some left over Hatch chilies that I roasted a few nights before so I combined those with the canned whole Hatch green chilies.

Ingredients:
1 large can whole green chilies (or 10-12 roasted fresh chilies, roasting instructions below)
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch chunks
2 tbsps. canola oil 
13 oz. can vegetable broth
2 tbsps. flour
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 jalapeno chilies, diced
3 tomatillos, diced
Salt to taste


Instructions:
In large frying pan, saute' chicken in 1 tbsp. oil until almost cooked through. Add another tbsp. oil, onions, garlic, jalapenos, tomatillos, and continue to saute until onions are translucent.  In small mixing bowl, add flour to vegetable broth and stir until flour mixture is smooth with no lumps.  Add to chicken mixture.  Coarsely chop green chilies and add to mixture.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  This recipe is great served over brown rice or in a bowl by itself!


To roast fresh whole green chilies:
Place chilies on a cookie sheet.  Turn oven to broil.  Broil until the skin of the chilies blackens and blisters.  Remove from oven and immediately place chilies into plastic ziploc bag.  Leave the chilies in the plastic for 30 minutes.  The skin of the chilies will peel off easily. You must remove the skin and most of the seeds from the inside of the chilies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment