Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hatch Chili Chicken Cordon Bleu



I'm officially all out of Hatch green chilies!  Maybe it's a good thing because I'm sleep deprived and they have taken over my life!




I hope you like this last recipe and if you would like to send me YOUR ideas for cooking with Hatch chilies, I would love it!

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
2 Hatch chilies, roasted with skin and insides removed
2 slices vegan cheese- I prefer the jalapeño flavor because I like it spicy.
2 egg whites
*1 pkg. McCormick Crispy Chicken Tenders Seasoning-To this pkg., add 1 tsp herbs and 1/2 cup pureed almonds or make the following:

Panko crumb breading mixture:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup whole wheat panko crumbs
1 cup sliced almonds (nut allergies: substitute  additional cup of panko crumbs for almonds)
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsps dry mustard
2 tsps. salt
2 tsps pepper
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsps chopped fresh rosemary, thyme or another savory herb
*Optional: 1 tsp red Italian pepper flakes

Directions:
I used the same crumb recipe that I used for chicken tenders so if you took my advice (he-he) and made extra, this recipe is a snap!

Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to thin them to about 1/3-inch thickness.  Cut chili in half and place at the edge of the chicken breast.  Add 1/2 slice of vegan cheese and roll into a cylinder.  Dip in egg whites, then in crumb mixture, skewering with a toothpick.  Place in shallow dish, repeat for remaining chicken breasts and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.

Here's a link to one of my favorite vegan cheese companies:

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/rice/









No comments:

Post a Comment