Sunday, September 2, 2012

Hatch Green Chili Papas

Some fond childhood memories for me were the occasions when my dad made Chili Papas for breakfast.  The smell was enough to bring me running for breakfast because there was no doubt Daddy had commandeered the kitchen!  He fried chopped potatoes and onions in a pan then added green chilies and tomatoes.  I thought he called them "Chili Papas" because he was the Papa!  Of course, the Spanish word for potatoes is "papas."  Here's my latest Hatch Green Chili idea:



Ingredients:
3 lbs. potatoes cut into 1/2-inch pieces
*1 medium chopped sweet potato-this was my idea!  (( :
1/2 coarsely chopped onion
4 Hatch green chilies- roasted, skin and insides removed, chopped
1 cup chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp. grape seed oil
Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions:
Saute' potatoes and onions in frying pan until slightly browned.  Turn stove to medium low, cover and continue to cook until potatoes are soft.  Add chopped Hatch chilies and tomatoes and cook for an additional 3 minutes.

*Optional:  My dad added 3-4 scrambled eggs with the chilies and tomatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment